Thursday, August 1, 2013

Blog Post 1

Logan Sullivan   
Mrs. Wagener
AP English Lit.
31st July 2013

The Garden of Eden

                Who are you? To the eyes of most people, this is an easy question. To others, the question, “Who are you?” is a complicated and sometimes unanswerable question. As for me, I am Logan Sullivan. From what I was taught, I believe that I was made with a purpose. I believe that my ultimate goal is to strive for a place after my death on Earth. And I believe that my place on Earth has meaning, because this is what I have been taught. Not everyone will answer the same way as I just did, some may even tell me that I am wrong, but this makes us who we are. Science and religion always seem to contradict one another, and this can be seen easily through the creation of the universe. Where did the Earth come from? Some say the creation of God; some say The Big Bang Theory. Everything has more meaning than what most people believe it to be; this is strongly present in who we think we are and where we think the Earth came from.
                The world is full of judgment, and society always seems to be the leader of this. Society wants us to think that brand of clothing, income, attractiveness, and what we do for a living dictates who we are as a person, and in most cases, they succeed. Physical items do not tell us who we are as a person, and one of the most common things that people know us by is our name. We all have a name, but how does it tell everyone who we are? In Sophie’s World, when Sophie was asked the question, “Who are you?” one of the first things that went through her mind was if she had a different name. Like Sophie, there was not just one name that my parents wanted to give me. I have wondered how much my life would change just by a simple greeting if my name was something else, and it is nearly impossible to do. We cannot imagine ourselves with a different name; our name is a part of us, and we cannot see it any other way. Another topic that tells us who we are is religion, whether we believe it or not. Christianity teaches that who we are on Earth should not matter, and that the only the thing that should matter is our relationship with God. Who we are does not change, we are who we are.
                The thought of where the Earth came from has crossed everyone’s thoughts at some point. As for me, I have been taught that God created the Earth in six days and on the seventh day he rested, and that is what I truly believe. To those that believe in science, they believe that somewhere in space there was a point of infinite singularity that rapidly and violently exploded that gave birth to millions and millions of galaxies, eventually forming the Earth in one of those galaxies. Sophie makes a point in Sophie’s World that it is hard to believe that a God has always existed and he was never created from something else. I do agree with her in that it is hard to believe, but that does not make it impossible for that to happen. Like Sophie stated, these beliefs and assumptions bring us to our own thoughts and conclusions on how we interpret our understanding of where the Earth came from.

                People have different beliefs about where the Earth came from; this can also tell us something about who they are. Everyone has their own opinion or interpretation on everything they see and think. To some people, others are wrong, to others, some people are right, it’s our opinions and beliefs that make us who we are. 


No comments:

Post a Comment